Founders Fund is a San Francisco-based venture capita firm investing all stages across a wide variety of sectors, including aerospace, artificial intelligence, advanced computing, energy, health, and consumer Internet.
Their portfolio that includes Airbnb, Knewton, Lyft, Spotify, Stripe, and ZocDoc. Founders Fund was the first institutional investor in Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX) and Palantir Technologies, and one of the earliest investors in Facebook. The firm’s four General Partners, Peter Thiel, Ken Howery, Luke Nosek, and Brian Singerman, have been founders and early employees of companies including PayPal, Google, Palantir Technologies, and SpaceX. Formed in 2005, Founders Fund had more than $3 billion in aggregate capital under management as of 2016 and includes media companies such as Spotify, Cloud9, Niantic, Oculus, Yammer, and Quantcast in their portfolio.
The firm is made up of the following partners:
- Brian Singerman, creator of iGoogle
- Ken Howery, founder and former CFO of PayPal
- Luke Nosek, founder and former vice president of PayPal
- Peter Thiel, founder and former CEO and chairman of PayPal
Former partners included:
- Sean Parker, co-founder of Napster and Facebook's first president.
- Bruce Gibney, founder and author, left in December 2012.