Bertelsmann, Bertelsmann SE & Co. KGaA, is a media, services and education company that operates in about 50 countries around the world. It includes the broadcaster RTL Group, the trade book publisher Penguin Random House, the magazine publisher Gruner + Jahr, the music company BMG, the service provider Arvato, the Bertelsmann Printing Group, the Bertelsmann Education Group and Bertelsmann Investments, an international network of funds. The company has 119,000 employees and generated revenues of €17.2 billion in the 2017 financial year. Bertelsmann stands for entrepreneurship and creativity. This combination promotes first-class media content and innovative service solutions that inspire customers around the world.
BERTELSMANN BUSINESSES INCLUDE:
- RTL Group – a leader across broadcast, content and digital, with interests in 56 television channels and 31 radio stations, content production throughout the world, and rapidly growing digital video businesses. The television portfolio of RTL Group includes RTL Television in Germany; M6 in France; the RTL channels in the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Croatia and Hungary; and Antena 3 in Spain. The Group’s flagship radio station is RTL in France, and it also owns or has interests in other stations in France, Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, Spain and Luxembourg. Fremantle Media is one of the largest international creators, producers and distributors of multi-genre content outside the United States. Combining the on-demand services of its broadcasters, the multi-platform networks BroadbandTV, StyleHaul, Divimove, United Screens and Fremantle Media’s 296 YouTube channels, RTL Group has become the leading European media company in online video. RTL Group also owns the advanced video ad-serving platform SpotX. Bertelsmann is the majority.
- Penguin Random House – is a publishing company with more than 250 imprints and brands on six continents, over 15,000 new titles, and more than 600 million print, audio and e-books sold annually, Penguin Random House is the world’s leading trade book publisher. Penguin Random House is committed to publishing adult and children’s fiction and nonfiction print editions and is a pioneer in digital publishing. Its book brands include storied imprints such as Doubleday, Viking and Alfred A. Knopf (United States); Ebury, Hamish Hamilton and Jonathan Cape (United Kingdom); Plaza & Janés and Alfaguara (Spain); Sudamericana (Argentina); and the international imprint DK. Its publishing lists include more than 60 Nobel Prize laureates and hundreds of the world’s most widely read authors. Penguin Random House is dedicated to the mission of nourishing a universal passion for reading by connecting its authors and their writing with readers everywhere. Bertelsmann owns 75 percent of shares in Penguin Random House; Pearson owns 25 percent.
- Gruner + Jahr – creates media products for the digital society. With around 500 magazines and digital offerings in more than 20 countries, Gruner + Jahr is one of Europe’s biggest magazine publishers. Its core markets are Germany and France. In France, G+J operates the country’s leading bi-medial magazine publisher, Prisma Media. In Germany, G+J’s major magazine brands, including “Stern,” “Geo” and “Brigitte,” are part of the publishing house. More than a dozen new titles, including “Flow,” “Beef” and “Barbara,” underscore G+J’s position as an innovation leader in the magazine business. In the rapidly growing digital market, the Hamburg publishing house’s journalistic websites command leading positions in the women’s, family, people, living, food, popular science and news segments. G+J also operates high-traffic online communities including Chefkoch and Urbia, and its growing e-commerce business includes the “Schöner Wohnen“ shop. Ligatus gives G+J a leading position in the European market for native advertising, while the G+J subsidiary TERRITORY leads the market in content-driven communications. G+J owns majority stakes in the special-interest publisher Motor Presse Stuttgart and the DDV Mediengruppe in Dresden. Gruner + Jahr is wholly owned by Bertelsmann.
- BMG – is the first new international music company of the streaming age, designed to help contemporary rock and pop artists and songwriters efficiently manage their music-related rights, ranging from songs and recordings to books and, increasingly, video assets. Creating a new competitive advantage with its core values of Fairness, Transparency and Service, BMG offers the traditionally separate music publishing and recording rights off the same state-of-the-art platform internationally. BMG’s 14 offices across 12 core music markets now represent more than 2.5 million songs and recordings, including many of the most renowned and successful catalogues and artists in popular.
- Arvato – is an international service provider. More than 70,000 employees develop and realize innovative solutions for business customers from all over the world, including CRM, SCM, finance and IT solutions. Enterprises representing many different industries rely on Arvato’s integrated solution portfolio – from telecommunication firms to energy suppliers, banks, e-commerce retailers, IT companies and Internet providers. Arvato is wholly owned by Bertelsmann.
- Bertelsmann Printing Group – unites all of Bertelsmann’s printing activities. This includes the German offset printing companies Mohn Media, GGP Media and Vogel Druck, the Prinovis gravure printing operations in Germany and the United Kingdom, and the offset and digital printing plants Berryville Graphics, Coral Graphics and OPM in the United States. The Group combines a wide range of print and service offers – from prepress services and printing to mailings and distribution of a variety of different print products including magazines, books, phone books, catalogs and brochures. Campaign, DeutschlandCard and the Dialogue business are also part of Bertelsmann Printing Group. The Bertelsmann division with more than 8,000 employees also includes the advertising agency MBS, RTV Media Group and the replication specialist Sonopress. Bertelsmann Printing Group is wholly owned by Bertelsmann.
- Bertelsmann Education Group – encompasses Bertelsmann’s education businesses. The group is shaping professional learning in the 21st century with digital education and service offerings focused on the healthcare and technology sectors, and it draws on Bertelsmann’s resources and global network. The Bertelsmann Education Group is wholly owned by Bertelsmann.
- Bertelsmann Investments – unites Bertelsmann’s start-up investments around the world. In focus of its activities are the strategic growth regions Brazil, China, India and the United States. Shareholdings are acquired through the strategic investment funds Bertelsmann Brazil Investments (BBI), Bertelsmann Asia Investments (BAI), Bertelsmann India Investments (BII) and Bertelsmann Digital Media Investments (BDMI). Bertelsmann owns stakes in more than 160 innovative companies via these funds.